|وثائق - معاونت وثائق (انگریزی)
Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[ترمیم]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.
Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.
--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 20:29, 19 جولائی 2012 (UTC)
More opportunities for you to access free research databases[ترمیم]
The quest to get editors free access to the sources they need is gaining momentum.
- Credo Reference provides full-text online versions of nearly 1200 published reference works from more than 70 publishers in every major subject, including general and subject dictionaries and encyclopedias. There are 125 full Credo 350 accounts available, with access even to 100 more references works than in Credo's original donation. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
- HighBeam Research has access to over 80 million articles from 6,500 publications including newspapers, magazines, academic journals, newswires, trade magazines and encyclopedias. Thousands of new articles are added daily, and archives date back over 25 years covering a wide range of subjects and industries. There are 250 full access 1-year accounts available. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
- Questia is an online research library for books and journal articles focusing on the humanities and social sciences. Questia has curated titles from over 300 trusted publishers including 77,000 full-text books and 4 million journal, magazine, and newspaper articles, as well as encyclopedia entries. There will soon be 1000 full access 1-year accounts available. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
You might also be interested in the idea to create a central Wikipedia Library where approved editors would have access to all participating resource donors. Add your feedback to the Community Fellowship proposal. Apologies for the English message (translate here). Go sign up :) --Ocaasi (talk) 02:26, 16 اگست 2012 (UTC)
Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[ترمیم]
I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.
The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.
If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)
Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)02:17, 6 ستمبر 2012 (UTC)
Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[ترمیم]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)
As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.
The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:
- language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
- infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
- lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)
It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.
For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.
--Lydia Pintscher 13:42, 10 ستمبر 2012 (UTC)
Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[ترمیم]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
Please watch for problems with:
- revision diffs
- PDF export
- images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
- the CologneBlue skin
Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.
Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 03:18, 16 اکتوبر 2012 (UTC)
P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.
Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[ترمیم]
Please translate for your local community
The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
Sent using Global message delivery, 17:23, 17 اکتوبر 2012 (UTC)
Images licensing policy[ترمیم]
I wanted to check some issue about JPG pictures not showing themselves on the wiki.
Doing that, I browsed some locally uploaded pictures to make some tests.
I've seen virtually no picture contain licensing information.
Wikipedia is a free encyclopedia, meaning each media should be:
- whether available on a free license;
- whether included on local project's exemption doctrine policy (see meta:Non-free content), ie a policy compatible with Pakistan laws stating some non freely licensed media could be uploaded (e.g. fr.wikipedia policy provides commercial logos could be uploaded).
See also the relevant WMF policy: Licensing policy.
This means it would be interesting to create a taskforce to tag (and ask pictures uploaders to tag where the information isn't available) every picture with the following information:
- Date (not the upload date, but the media date, the shooting time for a photo for example)
- Source (ie where the picture have been found)
- Licensing information
Using the Urdu Wikipedia on a mobile phone - you can help[ترمیم]
A few days ago, during an event in Bangalore, Imdad Ahmed, Jon Robson, Tomasz Finc and Muhammad Shuaib changed the main page of the Urdu Wikipedia and made it usable for browsing from Mobile phones. This was a pretty hard task and they all deserve a lot of praise.
This is how the mobile page looks now: http://ur.m.wikipedia.org . Notice that some things are written in English and not in Urdu, for example:
- Read in another language
This happens because the tranlsation of the mobile site's interface is not complete. You can complete it by translating several strings at https://translatewiki.net:
Please, open an account there and translate the untranslated strings. It will greatly help the people who want to browse the Urdu Wikipedia from their phones.
I noticed that the sitename configured here is "منصوبہ", which means "project". It should probably be "ویکیپیڈیا".